What is my subconscious and how does it affect my life?
Gustave Geley a distinguished French Psychologist who wrote from unconscious to conscious once wrote, “There is no artist, man of science, or writer of any distinction, however little disposed to self analysis, who is not aware by personal experience of the unequaled importance of the subconscious.”
The Subconscious is one of the most powerful forces affecting everything you do. Entire books have been written about the subconscious mind. For a full exploration of this you must read Joseph Murphy’s The Power of the Subconscious Mind. The Subconscious mind operates your automatic bodily process like growth and repair, your heart beat, your digestive system and hundreds of complex bodily processes. It is also the seat of emotion controlling the body’s limbic system (hormones) and expresses survival instincts like the fight or flight response.
The subconscious mind controls two types of automated behaviors that have been learned:
1. Physical Actions like Walking or Riding a Bike
2. Mental actions like attitudes.
The subconscious mind houses memory (it holds all real and imagined life experiences). It lacks the ability to edit incoming information as real or imaginary true or false, helpful or harmful. It also can cause and cure diseases, create and alleviate stress.
One of the most important factors to consider the subconscious minds ability to process information. It is much more efficient and effective than the conscious mind. Another study suggests that the subconscious mind processes about 400 billion bits of information per second and the impulses travel at a speed of up to 100,000 mph! Compare this to your conscious mind, which processes only about 2,000 bits of information per second and its impulses travel only at 100-150 mph.
Many of actions we take and the decisions we make are based on deep beliefs written into our subconscious mind. Many of the these beliefs only exist through repetititon.
There are numerous ways to change your subconscious mind. Here are 6
1. Hypnosis – We can recreate our Theta state of receptivity and use it to re-program our mind in a more conscious way. And the cool thing is that each of us have access to this state of being two times every day where we can effectively ‘hypnotise’ ourselves – just before falling asleep and just as we are waking up. As we are drifting off, the mind moves from its active Beta state into Alpha and then Theta before eventually dropping into Delta as we sleep. The Theta window is our most receptive state and responds well to the visions and suggestions we hold in this space. Listening to subliminal tapes at this time is one way to begin overwriting limiting programs with the new beliefs and behaviours we want to experience.
2. Repetition – Here’s an interesting fact: the subconscious mind doesn’t know the difference between what’s vividly imagined and what’s real. The second method for reprogramming our subconscious towards positive change is to practice new thoughts and
actions, with feeling, and to repeat this throughout the day as though you are learning a new skill or building a new muscle. This can’t just be sticky notes on the mirror. This must be felt and experienced. This can be difficult if we are experiencing great contrast to the thing we want (i.e. a cancer patient saying, “I am healthy.”). But even if it looks very different than your current life, repetition works if we can harness the ability to bring ourselves into a feeling space connected to the end result of what we really want. “Motion creates emotion”, and weaving movement and feeling together is one of the best ways to build the energy of a vision.
3. Energy Psychology – “Human civilization on this planet has the necessity to rapidly change our behaviour because our current behaviour is leading to mass extinction. Energy psychology is a form of belief change that provokes ‘super learning’ – the ability to synchronize the hemispheres of our brain and download something into the subconscious rapidly.” There are many forms of energy psychology that we utilize at the advanced success institute (Psych-K, Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), Theta Healing, Holosync to name a few). Different approaches work for different people so it’s important to find what works best for you. Any of these approaches were initially passed off as “new age”, science is now revealing rapid, measureable and lasting results.
4. High Impact Events – every once in a while something happens that completely pierces the bubble of our subconscious mind and creates a powerful window for holistic change. These events can come in the form of apparent crisis (a critical illness, loss of a loved one, major emergency) or even a blessing (the birth a new child, meeting a soul mate), and the impact of these moments are so profound that they call forth a completely radical departure from our normal programs and ways of being. The power to create a “spontaneous remission” of any sort is available to each of us when we tap into the power of our subconscious mind,
5. Be consciously aware of what your watch and listen to – if all you do is watch negative television shows and listen to depressing music it will program your subconscious view of the world. Watch uplifting programs and listen to positive music to create a positive view of the world. Be careful of anything you read, watch or listen to with the awareness you are crafting your subconscious mind with everything you do.
6. Utilize the 5 minutes prior to sleep – This magical time before sleep is when your brain is in an alpha or theta state and is very receptive making it is easier to introduce new ideas. Most people when they lay down to sleep will go through all of their worries,
concerns and any problems they had in their day. Doing this repeatedly will significantly change your subconscious mind over time.
7. Affirmations – Repeating powerful and emotional phrases will change your subconscious mind. If you state I am healthy multiple times throughout the day your subconscious mind will eventually decide that this is true.
By Actively molding and shaping your subconscious mind you can find greater prosperity, better health, meaningful friendships, deeper love and profound happiness in your life. Contact us today to help you put together a plan to transform your subconscious mind.